Re: KNOPPIX as an installer for Debian

sean finney wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 09:02:26PM -0800, Terry Milnes wrote:
> > Is it possible to use KNOPPIX as a installer for Debian?  Once I have KNOPPIX installed then add Debians stable apt repository to add the other software that I want?
>
> you can do it, but you'll probably spend just as much time working out
> dependencies and massaging things into place.  also, knx-hdinstall
> doesn't deal well with small root partitions iirc.  i've done something
> similar, but in a more "I know what the hell i'm doing" manner:
>
> (from a knoppix boot up)
> # fdisk /dev/hda
> # mkdir /target
> (mount all the hard drive partitions into /target, /target/usr, etc...)
> # debootstrap sid /target
> (you can do woody instead of sid if you want stable)
> # chroot /target dpkg -a --configure
> # chroot /target
> # apt-get install stuff
> (don't forget to include a linux kernel and run lilo)

What is the advantage of doing it this way from Knoppix rather than just
booting from a Debian install CD? Is it just that you can set up a sid
system directly, without having to install stable or testing first?

Btw, has anyone else found that the English ISO of Knoppix 3.2 for 24
March 2003 displays a lot of things in German even if you include
"lang=us" in the boot command? Older versions of Knoppix did not do this
to me.

Craig