[OT] History of debian-user footer.

In light of the most recent iteration of the 'users can't unsubscribe'
discussion I thought I would do a bit of research.

When I started using debian the footer was -

/dev/null

There was a huge debate about whether or not to change this to a more
user friendly format or not.  Some argued the footer should remain due
to tradition.  Some argued for a kinder and gentler footer.  Others felt
a more user friendly footer would be codling users too much.  After much
debate we ended up with -

For whatever reason, and I bet we can guess why, Bruce turned over the
responsibility to Templin -

debian-user-request@lists.debian.org . Trouble?  e-mail to templin@bucknell.edu

After Templin stepped down I guess no one stepped forward, or it was
decided it was too much for one person and Listmaster took over -

Now I see people are calling for yet another "improvement" a link to -

This debate and problem has been going on forever:)  I find this
humorous on one level.  On another I find it disturbing that as a
species we can send someone to the moon but we are too stupid to
unsubscribe from an email list, *after* we have subscribed.  Or is the
problem the instructions aren't clear enough or the listmaster isn't
responsive enough? <evil grin>
kent

--
To know the truth is to distort the Universe.
                      Alfred N. Whitehead (adaptation)