Re: KNOPPIX as an installer for Debian

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 09:02:26PM -0800, Terry Milnes wrote:
> Is it possible to use KNOPPIX as a installer for Debian?  Once I have KNOPPIX installed then add Debians stable apt repository to add the other software that I want?

you can do it, but you'll probably spend just as much time working out
dependencies and massaging things into place.  also, knx-hdinstall
doesn't deal well with small root partitions iirc.  i've done something
similar, but in a more "I know what the hell i'm doing" manner:

(from a knoppix boot up)
# fdisk /dev/hda
# mkdir /target
(mount all the hard drive partitions into /target, /target/usr, etc...)
# debootstrap sid /target
(you can do woody instead of sid if you want stable)
# chroot /target dpkg -a --configure
# chroot /target
# apt-get install stuff
(don't forget to include a linux kernel and run lilo)

	sean