Re: X-over cables

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 11:24:03AM +0100, Joachim Trinkwitz wrote:
> Hugh Saunders <hugh@mjr.org> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 04:50:16PM -0800, deFreese, Barry wrote:
> >> Yeah but who wants a Smash-n-toss??  ;-)
> > me gots a powerbook520 and it is so fustrating! there are no flippin
> > keyboard commands! click finder to switch between netscape and telnet!
> > grrr.
> [...]
> > ps: have looked at debian port for mac but the only hardware that isnt
> > supported is the nic, so there wouldnt be much point in trying that.
>
> What about switching to Mac OS X -- full featured FreeBSD under the
> hood _plus_ nice looking Aqua GUI over the hood _plus_ ability to use
> any Unix software you can think of, even XFree86 -- in fact, even
> apt-get as packet manager!
hmm nice try but do you have any idea what a powerbook 520 consists
of??

introduced May 16, 1994 at $2,270; discontinued June 10, 1995
requires System 7.1.1 or later; highest version supported without a PPC
upgrade is Mac OS 8.1.
CPU: 25 MHz 68LC040
FPU: none
ROM: 2 MB
RAM: 4 MB, expandable to 36 MB using a special 100ns pseudostatic RAM
card
VRAM: 512 KB
display: 9.5" 4-bit 640x480 passive matrix
160 MB or 240 MB hard drive standard
ADB port for keyboard and mouse
DIN-8 serial port on back of computer
ethernet port using AAUI connector
PowerBook SCSI connector on back of computer
proprietary modem slot
Gestalt ID: 72
Size (HxWxD): 2.3" x 11.5" x 9.7"
weight: 7.1 lb. with both batteries, 6.3 lb. with one battery

this one has 30mb ram but i dont think it would touch osX!

hugh