Re: System Slows Down

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 11:44:38AM +0200, Barak Korren wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 11:52:52AM -0700, Didier Caamano wrote:
> >>And how could I do this?, or better, where is the this cron-tab?
> >
> >This is where locate comes in handy, BTW.  Typing "locate crontab"
> >gives you all the filenames on the system named crontab.
> >
> >It's at /etc/crontab.  I strongly discourage you from removing the
> >default entries.  If you do, just comment them out by adding a #
> >before the line rather than deleting it, since eventually you'll
> >probably decide that these tasks should run.
>
> 1. AFAIK, system-wide, package-installed cronjobs are in configutred in
> Sys-V style in the /etc/cron.* directories and not in a standard user
> crontab file.

... and said scripts are run via run-parts(8) which is called by
scripts called in /etc/crontab.  Have you bothered to examine the
contents of /etc/crontab?  If the first three run-parts entries in
/etc/crontab are removed, the relevant scripts in /etc/cron.{daily,
weekly,monthly} will _never_ be run.

> 2. The right way to configure crontab it to use the contab (1) command.

I prefer crontab(1) :-)  contab has some criminal connotations.

However, you can't configure /etc/crontab or its subordinate
/etc/cron.{daily,weekly,monthly} scripts with crontab(1); you'll have
to use $EDITOR.

  Exhilaration is that feeling you get just after a great idea hits you,
  and just before you realize what's wrong with it.