Re: leaving computer on 24/7

on Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 04:31:15PM -0600, Nathan E Norman (nnorman@incanus.net) wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 10:12:14PM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:

<...>

> > Additional problem:  "stiction" on old drives.  I've got a set of SCSIs
> > from 1998 which can't be shut down for more than a few minutes without
> > requiring some manual encouragement to spin up again.
>
> Ah, the old "whack the drive case with a screwdriver handle" trick :-)

How brutal!

No, I pull the drives, give them a bunch of rapid half-spins about the
major platter axis, and try powering them up.  Once they spin up, I let
them run for a few minutes, then put them back on their rails in the
case.  Usually they'll spin up again immediately after.

> If you really want to hear stiction horror stories, go talk to people
> who have administrated (big) mainframes and experienced a power
> outage.

/me hands Nathan a beer.

Do tell ;-)

Peace.