Re: leaving computer on 24/7

"Koen Dejonghe" <koen_dejonghe@hotmail.com> writes:

> I installed debian woody on an ordinary pc and was wondering if I can
> leave the machine on 24/7 without damaging it.

If anything, it's harder on the machine to turn it on and off rather
than just leave it running.

Tread very carefully with hdparm. Instead, I'd suggest looking at apmd
to reduce power usage. I used that with success with my laptop. If you
have a desktop with a newer motherboard, your motherboard might support
the features too.