Re: leaving computer on 24/7

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 10:12:14PM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 10:03:39AM -0800, Bill Wohler (wohler@newt.com) wrote:
> > "Koen Dejonghe" <koen_dejonghe@hotmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > I installed debian woody on an ordinary pc and was wondering if I can
> > > leave the machine on 24/7 without damaging it.
> >
> > If anything, it's harder on the machine to turn it on and off rather
> > than just leave it running.
>
> Additional problem:  "stiction" on old drives.  I've got a set of SCSIs
> from 1998 which can't be shut down for more than a few minutes without
> requiring some manual encouragement to spin up again.

Ah, the old "whack the drive case with a screwdriver handle" trick :-)

If you really want to hear stiction horror stories, go talk to people
who have administrated (big) mainframes and experienced a power
outage.

  Just because an idea originated at "redhat" does not mean it is evil.
          -- Sean 'Shaleh' Perry