Re: Newbee-ish X and root question

    "Lukas" == Lukas Latz <lukaslatz@yahoo.com> writes:

    Lukas> Hi List, I use KDM over GDM because I found it lets me log
    Lukas> in with X as root, which I found especially useful in the
    Lukas> beginning when I was setting up lots of stuff.

GDM will let you log in as root. Edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf and set
AllowRoot=true and restart gdm.

As far as logging in as root via X goes I *never* do it. When I
absolutely must run an X application as root (eximon is the only one I
can think of) I just 'ssh -l root -X localhost'. Ugly, but I do it
maybe twice a year.

You might want to man or google on xauth to see how to get su to set
up for X display. I believe it can be done that way.

Cheers!
Shyamal