Newbee-ish X and root question

Hi List,

I use KDM over GDM because I found it lets me log in with X as root,
which I found especially useful in the beginning when I was setting up
lots of stuff.

Normally I log in as a normal user but sometimes I need to su to root
and would like to start for instance an editor, or something like
Gnome-Apt and then I get:

Xlib: No protocol specified

Logging in as root with KDM is the only way how I can get gnome-apt to
run, but I guess that can't be right, after all it's a gnome app ?

The same problem occurs with graphical installers (like limewire).
Usually I'd like to be root when installing stuff but the system won't
let me. D'uh!

Also, sometimes starting "file manager - super user mode" just quietly
fails (after entering root passwd), I presume for the same reason.

Is is supposed to be like that or is something wrong with my setup?

Lukas