Re: repartitioning: joining two partitions

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 02:16:23PM -0800, Vineet Kumar wrote:
| * Joris Huizer <joris_huizer@yahoo.com> [20030325 13:59 PST]:

| > Derrick, you're reply is very helpfull - but I've got
| > a new question based on the adjacency of partitions.
[...]
| Well, actually, LVM will work for non-adjacent partitions as well.  I
| think dman said that you'll only be able to create a new, large
| partition out of two smaller partitions without anything fancy (e.g.
| lvm) if they are adjacent.

Correct.  LVM doesn't care where the partitions are (or even if
they're on the same disk).  You only care if they're adjacent if you
want to merge them without using lvm.

| One thing that will *probably* work (i.e. it looks like it should, but I
| haven't done it so BACK BACK BACK UP UP UP your data if you're thinking
| about trying this.  No wait, back it up anyway. =) is to write down the
| blocks on which the existing partitions start and end, then create the
| new ones in exactly the same places.

I can verify that it does work, at least for non-extended partitions.
I once overwrote my partition table by accident.  After using 'gpart'
to figure out exactly where the old partitions were, I was able to
recreate them using fdisk (or cfdisk) and the data wasn't lost.

| (you'll have to store the data from 3 and 5 somewhere else and create
| restore it after creating a new, larger filesystem on the new, joined
| partition ... or do some yet fancier moves with growing the existing
| hdb3 filesystem to fill the new available space)

True.

HTH,
-D

--
The nice thing about windoze is - it does not just crash,
it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'ok' first.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/