Re: repartitioning: joining two partitions

Hello,

Derrick, you're reply is very helpfull - but I've got
a new question based on the adjacency of partitions.

This is the partition table as it is:

hda: hda1
hdb: hdb1 hdb2 hdb3 hdb4 < hdb5 hdb6 >

the hda disk is where windows lives (for my dad)
the /tmp is on hdb3, /home is on /hdb5

the partition has an "extended" partition - or so was
it called - because when I made the partitions I was
using Redhat 8 - and their partition tool insisted on
creating an extended partition in order to have more
than 5 partitions - I still don't know why this should
be necessary but... well this is the situation.

As far as I understand the extended partition, /hdb4,
isn't a real partition so hdb3 would be next to hdb5 -
which means lvm would work.

Can you tell me wether this is correct (or, what the
real situation is with extended partitions ?)

Thanks,

Joris