Re: splitting/editing avi/video files

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 10:54:52AM +0000, Klaus Imgrund wrote:

> >re-encoding may not work for the same reasons "copying" with mencoder
> >didnt.  Plus the reason I want to do it is to prevent reencoding, I mean
> >I could reencode with mencode as well to a smaller screen or lower
> >resolution and get a smaller file.  Any other ideas?
> >
> If you just want to split it and be able to put it back together on
> different platforms lxsplit is your friend.Only the first part is
> playable without putting it back together though.

I wonder whether there's a tool under debian for "repairing" an avi.
That way you could split it with whatever "split" tools have been
suggested, and then run a repair utility on the chunks, to rebuild their
(whassitcalled... header?)...
That way all the pieces should be playable, and have sane length info
etc. so you can seek in them and all that good stuff.

Sorry I can't suggest an actual tool though...  I just rembember finding
such a thing once upon a time (in a galaxy far, far away) under
Windoze... Came in handy for patching up broken P2P downloads...