Re: splitting/editing avi/video files

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 05:07:37 +0000
Klaus Imgrund <claus.imgrund@terra.com.br> wrote:

> Shawn Lamson wrote:
> > Hi -
> >
> > I have a 1.5 Gig video that I want to put on CD's (700 Mb).  What is
> > the best way to do this?  I searched briefly on the internet but I
> > think I can save a lot of time with experimenting by asking the
> > list.
> >
> > What I already tried:
> > 1) mencoder to copy the file to different sizes.
> > 	it failed b/c there is a 600000 byte error at the beginning of
> > 	the
> > movie that I can skip when playing, but if I skip when copying i
> > lose the indexes and cant ff/rw the video etc.
> >  would "splitter" or something just to split the file up work?
> >  Could I
> > play off the CD's in that case, or would I have to "reconstitute"
> > the file to play it?
> >
> > TIA for any advice.
> >
> You can try to split it with avidemux.Maybe you'll have to reencode
> the whole thing first.
>
> Klaus

re-encoding may not work for the same reasons "copying" with mencoder
didnt.  Plus the reason I want to do it is to prevent reencoding, I mean
I could reencode with mencode as well to a smaller screen or lower
resolution and get a smaller file.  Any other ideas?

Shawn Lamson
shawn.lamson@verizon.net
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0