splitting/editing avi/video files

Hi -

I have a 1.5 Gig video that I want to put on CD's (700 Mb).  What is the
best way to do this?  I searched briefly on the internet but I think I
can save a lot of time with experimenting by asking the list.

What I already tried:
1) mencoder to copy the file to different sizes.
	it failed b/c there is a 600000 byte error at the beginning of the
movie that I can skip when playing, but if I skip when copying i lose
the indexes and cant ff/rw the video etc.
 would "splitter" or something just to split the file up work?  Could I
play off the CD's in that case, or would I have to "reconstitute" the
file to play it?

TIA for any advice.

Shawn Lamson
shawn.lamson@verizon.net