Re: "Upgrading" to hardware RAID

Alex Malinovich said:
> drive. What I'm interested in, however, is if there is any way to "insert"
> a drive with pre-existing data into an array. That is, attach my current
> drive and one new drive to the board, and have the striping done
> automatically with current data as part of a startup routine or some such.

no, the 3ware controller must format the disks prior to use. I've never
seen a raid controller that supported this.

> most of the work. Will the array appear as one drive to the system from
> boot? (i.e. will I just get another /dev/hd* device, or will it still
> recognize the array and create a /dev/md* device?) TIA for any

I've used 4 3ware 6800 series controllers, they presented each raid
array as a scsi device, if only 1 raid array, then /dev/sda the 7000
series controllers may be different but I'd be suprised if they were
in this regard.

and just to remind you, raid0 offers no protection, if 1 disk goes in
a raid0 array, all data is lost. I reccomend MINIMUM raid 1, PREFERABLY
raid 10.

nate