Re: "Upgrading" to hardware RAID

> Alex Malinovich said:
> > drive. What I'm interested in, however, is if there is any way to "insert"
> > a drive with pre-existing data into an array. That is, attach my current
> > drive and one new drive to the board, and have the striping done
> > automatically with current data as part of a startup routine or some such.
>
> no, the 3ware controller must format the disks prior to use. I've never
> seen a raid controller that supported this.
>
> > most of the work. Will the array appear as one drive to the system from
> > boot? (i.e. will I just get another /dev/hd* device, or will it still
> > recognize the array and create a /dev/md* device?) TIA for any
>
> I've used 4 3ware 6800 series controllers, they presented each raid
> array as a scsi device, if only 1 raid array, then /dev/sda the 7000
> series controllers may be different but I'd be suprised if they were
> in this regard.

Wow, two extremely useful and relevant posts within a minute of each
other! I'm impressed. :) For starters, a big THANKS to both of you.
(Alvin and nate)

Now, on with the questions/comments:

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 16:59, nate wrote:
> and just to remind you, raid0 offers no protection, if 1 disk goes in
> a raid0 array, all data is lost. I reccomend MINIMUM raid 1, PREFERABLY
> raid 10.

This is for my desktop system which already runs on one drive with no
backups so I'm not _too_ concerned. The primary reason I'm doing it is
performance. There are times when having a mirror would have come in
handy, but since my 45 GB drive has only about 200 MB free right now, I
need 45 GB of extra space a lot more than I need the mirror. :) If this
was for a business machine in any sort of production environment,
however, this would DEFINITELY be either RAID 5 or RAID 10. (I've always
found RAID 1 to be rather wasteful actually.)

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 16:59, Alvin Oga wrote:
if you're using the 3-ware 7500-x series..
> 	- connect the drives
> 	- run their silly utility to make the raid device
> 		( or play with it as a jbod first: sda ... sdh )
> 		( and its software raid if you did not runthe utilties
> 	- fdisk /dev/sda  ( after configuring the disks )
> 	- mke2fs -j -m 1 /dev/sda1
> 	- mount /dev/sda1 /Raid.ware

What exactly is the "silly utility" for? It just sets up the drives as
an actual device? That sounds like it should have been handled in
hardware.

Since you mentioned mke2fs, that reminds me, does anyone have any
experience with running "alternate" (non ext2/3) filesystems on a RAID 0
array? Any performance considerations? I've been thinking about making
it a ReiserFS partition. I also intend to take a look at XFS one of
these days. Don't know if this will be the day though. :)

And this brings me up to the question that I didn't ask last time.
What's the best way to transfer all of my information over? I'm assuming
that doing something along the lines of dd

if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda

would probably give me a carbon copy? I'm still debating whether to do
this or to do a clean install and then just copy over /home/* and
/usr/local/*. As much as I know that reinstalls are most certainly NOT
necessary in Linux in general, and ESPECIALLY in Debian, years of M$
conditioning before I saw The Light have taught me that doing a fresh
install is always a Good Thing (tm). :) I think it's going to come down
to a question of time pretty much. Do I have the time to mess with the
install, or do I just want it to work NOW? (NOW being relative to how
long it takes to dd 45 GB worth of data of course. :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837