RE: Newbee-ish X and root question

Lukas Latz said:

> Oops, sorry for that, I never knew..
> The DISPLAY env seems to have some hidden aspects that I'll have to read
> up on. When I do su (without -m) and then set DISPLAY=0:0 by hand, it
> doesn't cut it.
> Thanks,

thats because the X server requires authentication to connect to
it by default. you can configure the authentication paramters using
the xhost command (usually do xhost +localhost). You probably have
to have your X server configured to listen for TCP connections if
you want to su & run X apps. Otherwise, turn on X11 forwarding in
ssh (/etc/ssh/sshd_config) if it's not already, restart the ssh
server and ssh -l root -X localhost and run your X app(s) that way.

nate