Re: [OT] Backup solutions - rdiff

hi ya savel

On 21 Mar 2003 stavel@brailcom.org wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
>     Bob> Opinions?
>
> I tried rdiff-backup.
> I uses rsync-like transfer method to minimize net load and diff-like store method to save
> incrementals. Diff method is extended even for binary file (that is rdiff algorithm).

yes.. rdiff sounds like a good thing to do..
	- make a 1 line change and only save that one line diff changes

- but if one creates a 10MB.file  and 100MB.file  and 1GB.file...
	- thhose 10MB files have to be saved daily ...
	( guess no different thant he current daily incrementals

	- problem is we cannot reset the "special directory"  to now also
	include the new 10MB.file ... and want to only save the new
	changes of the 10MB.file

	- if we do recreate a new "special directory", than the previous
	set of diff changes are lost ?? since those diffs was applied to
	a different master special directory ??

and yes.. a good way to do backups across the net ... little/minimal data
traffic

sounds like a fun problem to solve ??

c ya
alvin