Re: [OT] Backup solutions

Hi Bob,
>>>>> "Bob" == Bob Paige <bobman@iname.com> writes:

    Bob> Opinions?

I tried rdiff-backup.
I uses rsync-like transfer method to minimize net load and diff-like store method to save
incrementals. Diff method is extended even for binary file (that is rdiff algorithm).

The program creates file tree with one special directory. There are stored
reverse increments in the directory.

The advantage is that the tree contents of the newest file, older ones are
stored in reverse increments.

So I have server with partition /var/backup.
Mostly it is mounted as read-only.

Rdiff-backup can backup remote server by ssh:
        rdiff-backup remote-pc::/etc  /var/backup/network/remote-pc/etc
        ... it uses ssh when possible

If you want to clean older increments you can do:
        rdiff-backup --remove-older-than 60D      /var/backup/network/remote-pc
        The only reason to clear increments could be disk capacity :-)

NOTE:
If you can backup remote servers you have to use the same version of
the program.

There were choke  some incompatibilities up in version 0.10

     Enjoy doing backups  :-)
--
      Jan Stavěl