Re: [OT] Backup solutions - rdiff

Hi Alvin,

    Alvin> yes.. rdiff sounds like a good thing to do..  - make a 1
    Alvin> line change and only save that one line diff changes

    Alvin> - but if one creates a 10MB.file and 100MB.file and
    Alvin> 1GB.file...  - thhose 10MB files have to be saved daily ...
    Alvin> ( guess no different thant he current daily incrementals

        :-)

        Even you would use amanda you don't save disk space :-)

        rdiff-backup technology saves disk space and net load but not
        cpu on servers  (python) :-)

    Alvin> 	- problem is we cannot reset the "special directory"
    Alvin> to now also include the new 10MB.file ... and want to only
    Alvin> save the new changes of the 10MB.file

        I didn't understand it. Each new 10MB file is a change. And it is
    authomaticaly stored in 'special directory' when do new backup.

    Alvin> 	- if we do recreate a new "special directory", than
    Alvin> the previous set of diff changes are lost ?? since those
    Alvin> diffs was applied to a different master special directory
    Alvin> ??

        What is recreate a new 'special directory'?

        If you delete this spec dir, you can't  recreate  backup.
        This is dangerous to delete enything in stored tree since
        reverse increments upon on it :-(

        Because of that I have partition, the backups are stored in,
        read-only.

    Alvin> sounds like a fun problem to solve ??

        :-)
--