Re: dependency bug in libgd-text-perl (woody)?

Vinai Kopp <vinai@home-in-the.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am not very experienced with the dpkg, so hopefully I will learn.
> Please forgive me if the solution should have been obvious to me.
>
> On a woody (i386) system I can't install the libgd-text-perl packet
> without having libgd1 and libgd-perl replacing libgd1-noxpm and
> libgd-noxpm-perl.
> I would have guessed that since libgd1-noxpm provides libgd1, and
> libgd-noxpm-perl provides libgd-perl there should be no problem.
>
> Here are the package dependencies (only the relevant ones):
>
> Package: libgd-text-perl
> Depends: perl (>= 5.6.0-16), libgd-perl (>= 1.33-2.1)
>
> Package: libgd-noxpm-perl
> Provides: libgd-perl
> Depends: libgd1-noxpm (>= 1.8.4-14), (...among others...)
>
> Package: libgd1-noxpm
> Provides: libgd1g, libgd1
>
> My questions are:
> Why doesn't dpkg recognise the dependancies are met?

Because, unfortunately, dpkg doesn't support versioned Provides. Note
how libdb-text-perl depends on libgd-perl (>= 1.33-2.1), which a virtual
package (one that is "Provided" by another) cannot satisfy.

> What is the "correct" way to handle this situation?  Is it an error in
> my apt configuration (which is the default installed with woody), or
> should I submit a bug?

I'm pretty sure the maintainer did not intend for this situation, so it
must be a bug.  It looks like it's already fixed in unstable, but it is
unlikely to ever be fixed in woody.  So, you're best bet would be to
backport the unstable packages to woody (or simply backport the fix into
the current woody packages).

--
I had no feelings about it.  It was aloof and licked itself too much.
Like my cat Mr. Trotsky.