Multilingual Support as in Windows

hi,

I need some clear guidelines towards a bit confusing issue. I need to evaluate what kind of support/services are available in Linux as in windows xp for devloping and viewing Multilingual applications. Such applications need support both at backend and front end. Currently i need more to work on fron-end support. What i can understand yet is some services like Regional Settings provided by OS like windows can be used to format Multilingual data according to a Locale. Similalry OS should be capable of storing/retreiving data in Unicode. I need some comparison/feature of Linux what kind of support/services it provides to develop/view the multilingual apps?

Do we need language specific distribution of linux to acheive above goals or like windows we can change settings specific to locale within same distribution?

Comments,URLs, Article or doc will be helpful for detail insight of issue.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Anyz