dependency bug in libgd-text-perl (woody)?

Hello,

I am not very experienced with the dpkg, so hopefully I will learn.
Please forgive me if the solution should have been obvious to me.

On a woody (i386) system I can't install the libgd-text-perl packet
without having libgd1 and libgd-perl replacing libgd1-noxpm and
libgd-noxpm-perl.
I would have guessed that since libgd1-noxpm provides libgd1, and
libgd-noxpm-perl provides libgd-perl there should be no problem.

Here are the package dependencies (only the relevant ones):

Package: libgd-text-perl
Depends: perl (>= 5.6.0-16), libgd-perl (>= 1.33-2.1)

Package: libgd-noxpm-perl
Provides: libgd-perl
Depends: libgd1-noxpm (>= 1.8.4-14), (...among others...)

Package: libgd1-noxpm
Provides: libgd1g, libgd1

My questions are:
Why doesn't dpkg recognise the dependancies are met?
What is the "correct" way to handle this situation?
Is it an error in my apt configuration (which is the
default installed with woody), or should I submit a bug?

Please CC me since I'm currently not subscribed. Thanks!

Many Thanks in advance for pointers and explanations,

Vinai
--
Secure eMail with gnupg: See http://www.gnupg.org/

Please avoid sending me Word, Excel or PowerPoint attachments.