Memory leak - somewhere :)

Hello ppl,

I have a Debian 3.0 installation on my P4 2.2 512MB with 256MB Swap system. I
use KDE 3.1.

For sometime, I've been feeling that there's a memory leak in one of the apps
because after quite a few days of use KDE becomes slow. Apps I typically use
are KMail,Konqueror,KMerlin,Konsole,K3B.

I've noticed that memory seems to be consumed at an alarmingly huge rate.
Sometimes about 300MB+ gets used up overnight inspite of no additional
programs being run. For e.g. if with a clean boot into KDE I have 300MB of
free Physical memory left (as displayed by free) and the whole swap free then
the next morning I may see just 5MB of Physical memory free and the Swap used
to a degree.

I thought it could be KDE or artsd or some such component/app and I kept
rebooting my system with one less program running each time i.e. i'd turn on
KDE and not switch on KMail and see how it performs and next time wouldn't
switch on KMail and K3b,etc.....did this till i basically had a bare KDE
session running but the memory usage issue continued.

I therefore thought it may be X and I just put a # in the
default-display-manager file in /etc/X11, therefore since there's no default
manager I just get a message stating that at bootup and X doesn't come up.

If I do a free in succession with just this much I notice that my memory is
going down at a rate of 8KB each successive reduction.....this is most of the
time...although sometimes reductions can be of different sizes.

I can't make much of it.....is this normal?? doesn't look like it
should.....since I'm basically not turning on any programs...therefore
something seems to be up.......any help on either clarifying my understanding
on the above or tracing the rogue program would be appreciated....has neone
else noticed something similar.

Thanks
Bye