Re: Convincing someone to switch to Linux

On Tuesday 18 March 2003 00:24, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 08:50:43AM +1200, cr wrote:
> > Well, to take the analogy back to Linux - vs - Windoze -   all word
> > processors work pretty much the same.   All spreadsheets work pretty
> > much the same.   The difference between M$Word  and AbiWord, or  Excel
> > and Gnumeric, is no greater than than the difference between Win95 and
> > W2K versions of M$Word / Excel.   Just like hopping out of an Escort
> > into a Vauxhall.
>
> Not quite so.
>
> While OO.o and the like are very close counterparts to MS Office, there
> are a few items they just can't do yet (at least not that I've found),
> like inter-document linking and embedding between all documents.  This
> was the killer when I took this road with my employer.  I had everything
> lined up and ready then this little thing came up.  The best I was able
> to do was actively embed a spreadsheet within a document and vice versa.
> Had the other components of OO.o been able to do the same everything
> would have been fine.  However, as far as I can tell, they can not.  The
> closest I was ever able to come with the other components  was a static
> embedding.

This may apply for your users.   However, most of the users where I work -
including *all* of those who think that anything but M$ would be 'too
difficult' - never reach that level of complication anyway.   They're lucky
if they can select a font without help.   So in their case, my comparison
would still apply.

cr