Re: Convincing someone to switch to Linux

On Sunday 16 March 2003 23:05, Paul Johnson wrote:

(snip)

> > I get sick of having to explain to M$ users who don't know any
> > better that, yes, I can display JPG's in Linux and no, I don't need
> > M$ Word, there are perfectly good word processors, possibly even
> > better ones, available for other platforms, and yes, of course I can
> > read websites in Linux, the Net was *built* on Unix machines.....
>
> Fortunately, the Portland area seems to have, for the most part,
> computer users who understand life beyond Windows.  While most
> machines here run Windows, it seems like there's a lot more BSD, Linux
> and Mac users around here than in most areas.  It's been years since
> I've encountered someone as ignorant as you describe, and even then it
> was by telephone from San Bruno, California.

You're lucky.   Some of the ignorant users I'm referring to are our IT guys!
Of course, they've all been on M$ courses, where they no doubt get it
brainwashed into them that "If it isn't M$, it isn't compatible".   But I
think the main factor with them is, they're afraid to stick their necks out.
Remember "Nobody ever got fired for specifying IBM" ?    I expect M$ have
adopted that slogan, by implication at least.

cr