Re: Installation to SGI Indigo 2, boot?

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 01:21:54AM -0800, mahmut aydoðmuþ wrote:
> These machines are not connected to a network, so we chose to install from CD, and downloaded the CD images from http://us.cdimage.debian.org/jigdo-area/3.0_r1/jigdo/mips/. We then followed the installation instructions that are available at http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/mips/install for this specific MIPS version. However, despite our heartiest effort, we could not boot the system from CD to start the installation process. We also prepared a boot disk as instructed in debian linux installation manuals but again we failed. We believe part of the problem is that we are not familiar enough with the IRIX operating system to deal with the problem neither we are very experienced UNIX system administrators but we need to get this project done and we are eager to learn more. So please help us to move a step further, to be more specific if you can tell us how to boot the system from either floppy or the CD that would help us a lot.
Neither CD nor floppy boot is supported by the default installer. Either
install via tftp/dhcp (a howto is at:
	http://www.linux-debian.de/howto/debian-mips-woody-install.html
) or build your own bootable CD. Please search the mailing list archives
for the later.
Any improvements to the boot-floppies documentation are very welcome.
In the I2 only the XL graphics options is supported at the moment,
however serial console install works fine.
 -- Guido