Re: How do I get the install disks to recognize my network?

 Many, massive, thanks to all who have been helping me with this. My combined replies to a few suggestions: (apologies if this is a dupe. Had a mail.app hiccup)

Even with 2.4, I get the same failures, despite that it seems from all I read that eepro100 should work. DO I need to play with that part where I enter command-line arguments, perhaps?

Or do I need to get a newer version of eepro100? And how would I do that, so that the install floppies are able to use it? I am so, so lost.

ifconfig eth0 gives me "eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found"

cat /proc/pci says (I hope this is the right part)

Bus 1, device 8, function 5:
Ethernet controller: PCI device 8086:1039 (Intel Corp.) (rev 129)
IRQ 11.
Master Capable. Latency=32. Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=56.
Non-Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xff8ff000 [0xff8fffff].
I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc3f].

-----
original request follows:

Good afternoon. I am having a problem installing Debian (my first install of any Linux, actually) and was hoping someone might be able to render assistance.

Due to lack of funds and lack of access to CD-burner, I was hoping to use the Floppies / net install option to install to my new comp ( Intel D845GBV moterboard with onboard LAN ).

Seems to be working up until the installation of base system, where there is no 'Network' option. No prob, I figure, so I go to configure modules and find whatever one I'll need so it can use my onboard ethernet info.

But nothing there seems to be right, and when I guess, they all seem to fail.

Any thoughts? Please?

John Kenneth Fisher
johnkfisher@mac.com