Re: nothing works

on Mon, 17 Mar 2003 06:24:54PM -0600, ktb insinuated:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 06:15:08PM -0500, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> > my old computer's dead as a whole.  i determined that it was
> > either the motherboard or processor, and bought a new combo.
> > plugged them in.  turned on computer, and all is well!  i let it
> > download email for a while, transferred over some files, and went
> > to reboot for some reason.  it halted ... and then never came back
> > up.  i can't even turn it on now -- the fan whirrs, but it doesn't
> > even get as far as POSTing, and there's no signal to the monitor.
> > this is where i was before -- BUT it was up for two hours!  what's
> > wrong?
> >
> > i'm going to go swap around RAM when i get home.  but i find it
> > very weird that it booted once, and no longer.
>
> Make sure your power supply fan is turning.

yeah, i should have said that's the only thing that *does* happen --
the fan whirrs away beautifully.  it's new today.

> Smell the power supply vents to see if it is burned out.  Check for
> unusual heat also.  If it is damaged you many be getting enough
> power to turn the CPU fan and that is about it.

it shouldn't be, as i just got it today, and it worked until i took it
down ... but you never know with hardware, i'm learning.

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/