[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

RE: X-over cables [was Direct cable connection]

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Hugh Saunders [mailto:hugh@mjr.org]
> Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 2:50 PM
> To: Debian User
> Subject: X-over cables [was Direct cable connection]
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 05:00:46PM -0500, Mike Dresser wrote:
> > > So, is there a more modern way to "hotwire" two boxes without the
> > > use of routers or extra file systems? Is it possible to do a
> > > straight USB to USB or NIC to NIC connection?
> > 
> > There's something called an ethernet crossover cable, you 
> can hookup two
> > machines back to back with this and not need a hub.
> on the subject of crossover cables, do you know where you can get
> adapters that go on the end of normal patch cables to convert them
> to crossover? 
> The reason i ask is because i only want to carry one network cable in
> laptop bag but would be useful to have a crossover cable sometimes..
> thanks 
> hugh

It's somewhat pointless to have an adapter I would think since you are still
going to need the male RJ-45 end on both ends.  If you going to carry and
adapter and a cable isn't just as easy to carry two cables?  If you really
want to do it, one easy way would be to butcher an existing patch cable and
cut off one end and get one of the wall jack inserts for cat-5 and punch it
down as a crossover.

Barry deFreese
NTS Technology Services Manager
Nike Team Sports

"Technology doesn't make you less stupid; it just makes you stupid faster."
Jerry Gregoire - Former CIO at Dell

Reply to: