Re: considered harmful (was [off topic] Learning Shell from an old UNIX book)

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 00:08:19 -0800,
Vineet Kumar wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> Hello,
>
> I think you've already gotten good answers about the book, and
> how bash is derived from bourne, and what ksh and csh are.
>
> While you're learning about the shells, I think it's important
> to keep this in mind:
>
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/
>
> It's good to learn csh in order to be able to understand random
> csh scripts you find in the wild, but read that document before
> you ever consider unleashing another csh script unto the world.

I'm not convinced. As the article itself points out, there are
workarounds for the perceived weaknesses of csh. And why pick on
the granddaddy, when the grandson is very much alive and kickin?
I've been using tcsh for both my scripts and its more
user-friendly shell. Admittedly I don't unleash them "unto the
world". But I know of at least one big project that uses tcsh
scripting, OpenOffice.org.