Re: Ethernet problems: old 3c509b card is having overrun and errors

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 05:03, Calyth wrote:
> I've been using 3c509b cards before, but it seems that this one, at a
> uptime of 8 days, as a samba server, it have encountered 182 errors and
> 185 overruns upon receiving 838.6 "MiB" (excuse my ignorance, but I
> can't recall what MiB means. It has to be something bytes, but what?)
> Anyways, I was reading the Ethernet HOWTO, and it suggested me to change
> the window size using the route command. According to that HOWTO,
> linux's default TCP Rx window is set to 32KB, and I've reset it to half
> the size. I'm waiting to see if anything improves.
> Has anyone ran into the same problem, and if so did anything you do that
> effectively solves it? I'd be glad to hear.
> Also, is there a way to use two network cards in this (pretty much
> crippled) server so that it would have better "speed", for a lack of a
> better term. Again, I'm using it as a Samba server, and neither the HD
> nor the network card seems to be fully utilized - the activity lights
> are busts - so I don't quite believe that it being a 486 with 32MB of
> RAM is truly the problem. I'm aware of ways that software could make
> other computers think that two NIC as one, is there anything like that
> that I could use in this case?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Calyth

actually, i had the same exact problem! mine was an isa 3com, i think
the 3c509c... not sure. anyway, i was takining massive errors - the same
as you. i tested some downloads - got about 7 to 9 k from kernel.org.
changed the cable, no help. then the local shop sold me a used smc isa
card for $5 - no more problems! those same downloads then came at about
170 k (cable) during busy hours!
sounds like a card problem.

good luck,
jason