Re: Installing Intel compiler RPMs on Debian

Charlie Zender wrote:

Hi,

What is the recommended way to install the Intel Fortran and C/C++
compilers on Debian? They come as a set of RPMs. The RPMs do not
install on my Debian system, because  there are no RPMs installed
on my Debian system so it can't find any pre-requisites:

error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)

I suppose I could try to find where the RPMs want to install their contents, and then try to install them myself manually.
This sounds dangerous and error-prone, however.
I gather this is a FAQ, "what to do when you have an RPM you want
to install on a Debian system?", but I could not find the answer.

Any tips appreciated,
Charlie
You could try to use alien to turn it into a "deb". I used alien with rpm's for drivers for a Digiboard and had pretty good luck. As for the db3 error, there is a Debian package for db3 if it is required. "apt-cache search db3"

Good luck,

--
Barry deFreese
Debian 3.0r1 "Woody"

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving
to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is
winning." Rich Cook.