Re: wtf? (long and frustrated)

Glenn English wrote:

There ought to be a list for debian wannabes. I've tried several times
to get woody going on a couple different boxen - most recently a Dell
Latitude laptop.

Console is fine; X, of course, has been the problem (I haven't even
looked at the PCMCIA Ethernet and wireless cards yet).
When the installer says, "Have fun," and reboots, the screen blinks a
couple times, and a curses dialog box comes up saying it can't run X,
telling me why, and offering to run the X configuration program - that's
cool. I say, "Yes," and a program starts - IN X!!!
The X-based configuration is probably only running in VGA mode. When you're trying to configure X, you're probably telling the system you have greater than VGA capabilities.

It sounds like you're running XFree86 3.x; I think upgrading to 4.x would be of benefit to you. Of course, the easiest way to do that is to leave Woody behind and go for Sid or Testing. I run Sid on my workstations (Stable/Woody on servers); every once in a while a problem comes up that takes a couple of weeks to get ironed out, but those instances are rare, and seldom catastrophic, so I find Sid perfectly suitable for workstation use. This way you get the newer stuff, like X 4.

Is there some FM or FAQ I've missed? Is there a CI program on Debian to
configure X? Or is vi /etc/X11/XF86Config it?
xf86config
XF86Setup (I believe . . . it's been so-o-o long since I ran XFree86 3.x)
manually tweak XF86Config
maybe dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, but I think this is a version 4 thing

Kent