[OT] High-availability computing (was: Software RAID...)

On Sun, 2003-03-09 at 15:30, Alvin Oga wrote:
> > Calyth said:
> >[snip]
> -- if the system must survive a "dead pc" ... use clusters

In the Linux world, I know of only 2 ways to use clusters:
1. with Oracle databases, as database servers
2. in supercomputing (Beowulf, OpenMosix, etc.)

In the OpenVMS world, there are shared-disk clusters, and it's buried
deep in the OS, so *any* program that uses the VMS RTLs, no matter what
it is (text editor, email, java, database, etc, etc), is cluster-
aware.

So if you are on NODE1 and it crashes, you fail-over to NODE2, and
continue from your last checkpoint.  Of course, NODE2 is now 1/2 as
fast, since there are 2x as many users on it...

So, other than those 2 examples, how do you do clustering in Linux?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| Spit in one hand, and wish for peace in the other.            |
| Guess which is more effective...                              |