Re: Software RAID and drive failures - booting

> Calyth said:
> > I'm no expert comparing to the other people here who've experimented the
> > whole thing out, but I'd think that you might want to get at least 3 IDE
> > drives and set up RAID 5 instead.
> > Say you got 3 20GB HDs, RAID 1 (mirroring) would only give you 20GB of
> > space, while RAID 5 would provide more, yet still be able to make sure
> > that if one of the drive fails, you can still run with the data on the
> > other two drives and not be missing anything. I'm fairly sure that most
> > high end server at least uses some form of RAID 5 because of its
> > advantages. Others already raised a good point. Does data integrity means
> > no
> > downtime or no data loss. If they meant no downtime, then your task is
> > much, much harder.

when installed and configured properly...
	- i claim that you can boot from hda or hdc  in raid1
	- i claim that you can boot from 3/4 disks in raid5

	== that is the whole point of raid... that you can survive a disk
	== failure  ( data is preserved and you can still boot w/o
	== touching the keyboard )

- different distro does different things
	( unfortunately, fortunately, rh installer does a good job for
	( "surviving a disk failure" .. always works for me .. no problems

- different installl methods leads to different problems..

-- if data integretity is important... redundantly back it up

-- if data availability is important ... use raid1.. raid5 ..

-- if the system must survive a "dead pc" ... use clusters

-- you can spend the $$$ upfront to protect against failures or
   spend the $$$ after the system or parts of the system dies...

c ya
alvin