Re: libc6: did it move from unstable to testing?

On Saturday 08 March 2003 08:04 pm, Kevin Coyner wrote:
> I'm running a strictly testing box, and just a bit ago I did an apt-get
> update and apt-get dist upgrade, and before I knew it, the system
> was downloading 89 upgrades, one of which was libc6 ver 2.3.1-14.
>
> But when I go to packages.debian.org, and look at the libc6 debs in
> there, I see that it clearly says that ver 2.3.1-14 is still unstable,
> and that testing should be 2.2.5-14.3.
>
> Normally an upgrade like this is good stuff, but this time it caused me
> some problems, namely it uninstalled php4.
>
> So I'm a bit lost.  Did I mess something up?  Or was libc6 or something
> else moved from unstable to testing just a bit early?
>
> Not quite sure whether I should try to back track and get back to libc6
> ver 2.2.5-14.3 so I can get my php4 back, or whether there's another way
> of getting this done without going to a totally sid box.
>
> Thanks
> Kevin

Search this list for a post by  Anthony Towns: 'Warning: glibc 2.3.1
entering testing soon',  this is an excerpt.

"glibc 2.3.1-14 should be entering testing "tomorrow" (sometime around 30
hours from now, depending on your mirror). Along with it, some 800 other
source packages and all their binaries are expected to be updated. For
those of you running testing systems, please take care of the next few
days' upgrades, as a number of things *will* break.

php4 will be broken on all architectures. This will be fixed by the
removal of the Conflicts: line from the libc6 packages in a forthcoming
revision. It can be worked around by not upgrading until that version of
libc6 is available; by upgrading to php4 from unstable; or by manually
forcing the dependencies (and not using apt)."
--
Greg Madden