Re: libc6: did it move from unstable to testing?

Kevin Coyner wrote:

> O.k., so it seems as if libc6 has moved to testing and that packages.d.o
> is just a bit behind.  No problem.
>
> But I guess I'm still a bit surprised that this upgrade forced me to
> uninstall php4 (at least the forced uninstall is better than simply
> breaking it).  Anyway, I need to run php.  Am I correct in assuming that
> if I want to run php4, I'll have to
>
> apt-get -t unstable install php4
>
> and that if I do this, that it will seek out all of the upgrade
> dependencies it needs from unstable.  For example, if I check the
> dependencies of php4 unstable, I see that it requires apache-common
>>1.3.27, yet my current testing version is 1.3.26-1.1.  So will this
> automatically get updated to unstable too?  And perhaps further
> dependencies down the line as well, in essence making this box a sid
> box?
>
> Sorry for the detailed and probably somewhat obvious question, but I
> switched over to Debian last summer, and am loving it.  But this is the
> first time I've encountered this type of situation where a testing
> package upgrade (libc6) caused an incompatitibility with another testing
> package, in the case php4.  Perhaps that's why they call it testing?

There was an announcement two days ago or so in Debian-Devel. It was
mentioned that there would be some problems with a number of packages for a
while. Specifically mentioned was php4 as I recall. The recommendation was
to either wait a couple of weeks or so to do updates, or to install php4
from unstable.

The announcement was aprox 30 hours before the libc6 move to testing.

Paul

--
* For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,    *