Re: libc6: did it move from unstable to testing?

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 02:11:51AM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote......

> Michael D. Schleif wrote:
>
> > What am I missing?
> >
> > # apt-cache policy libc6
> > libc6:
> >   Installed: 2.2.5-14.3
> >   Candidate: 2.2.5-14.3
> >   Version Table:
>
> Have you done an "apt-get update" today? Even if you have, try it again,
> then try "apt-cache policy libc6" again and see if it's any different. I
> don't know what else could have us showing different information about
> the same repository.

O.k., so it seems as if libc6 has moved to testing and that packages.d.o
is just a bit behind.  No problem.

But I guess I'm still a bit surprised that this upgrade forced me to
uninstall php4 (at least the forced uninstall is better than simply
breaking it).  Anyway, I need to run php.  Am I correct in assuming that
if I want to run php4, I'll have to

apt-get -t unstable install php4

and that if I do this, that it will seek out all of the upgrade
dependencies it needs from unstable.  For example, if I check the
dependencies of php4 unstable, I see that it requires apache-common
>1.3.27, yet my current testing version is 1.3.26-1.1.  So will this
automatically get updated to unstable too?  And perhaps further
dependencies down the line as well, in essence making this box a sid
box?

Sorry for the detailed and probably somewhat obvious question, but I
switched over to Debian last summer, and am loving it.  But this is the
first time I've encountered this type of situation where a testing
package upgrade (libc6) caused an incompatitibility with another testing
package, in the case php4.  Perhaps that's why they call it testing?

Thanks
Kevin

--
Kevin Coyner