Re: libc6: did it move from unstable to testing?

Kevin Coyner wrote:

> I'm running a strictly testing box, and just a bit ago I did an apt-get
> update and apt-get dist upgrade, and before I knew it, the system
> was downloading 89 upgrades, one of which was libc6 ver 2.3.1-14.
>
> But when I go to packages.debian.org, and look at the libc6 debs in
> there, I see that it clearly says that ver 2.3.1-14 is still unstable,
> and that testing should be 2.2.5-14.3.
>
> Normally an upgrade like this is good stuff, but this time it caused me
> some problems, namely it uninstalled php4.
>
> So I'm a bit lost.  Did I mess something up?  Or was libc6 or something
> else moved from unstable to testing just a bit early?

packages.d.o is sometimes a bit behind schedule. If you want to see what
your apt-get sees, do "apt-cache policy <package-name>". Here is what I
see right now for libc6 on a testing machine:

$apt-cache policy libc6
libc6:
  Installed: 2.3.1-14
  Candidate: 2.3.1-14
  Version Table:
 *** 2.3.1-14 0
        500 http://http.us.debian.org testing/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

So apparently 2.3.1-14 is in testing now.

Craig