Re: Subj: CUPS (configuration problem for NON-root) only root can print properly

iks_kzm said:

> I have
>  lpd/hplj120
>  and lpd/postscript
> and
>
> cups

that is indicative of multiple spoolers installed on the system,
run a dpkg -l | grep lp and see if lpr and/or lprng show up, also
it may help to do a dpkg -l | grep apsfilter and dpkg -l | grep magicfilter
remove any of those packages if they show up (dpkg --purge package-name)

>> /etc/printcap should be empty and/or have the contents of
> Now I have /etc/printcap empty

delete /etc/printcap

>> /etc/printcap.cups (/etc/cups has a config file where you can
>> tell it to write info to /etc/printcap instead of /etc/printcap.cups)
> printcap.cups
> has the following entry
> HP_Laserjet_1200:

either:
1) modify cups config to write to /etc/printcap instead
2) cd /etc ; ln -s printcap.cups printcap
3) cd /etc ; cp printcap.cups printcap

> debian 3.0 is  equivalent to woody?

yep.

> Still I have the same problem: non-root user does not print
> properly (gray colour is printed as black).
>
> Any other clue?

see above ...I've used cups on about 4-5 different systems and none
of them required special configurations for non-root users.

I think the apps are getting confused with your /etc/printcap

nate