Re: Problems building a GCC cross compiler using the toolchain-source package

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 01:54:09PM -0500, Pedro Sanchez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to build a cross compiler using the toolchain-source and
> dpkg-cross packages, along the lines of what is described at
> http://people.debian.org/~debacle/cross.html

There was a thread about cross-compiling in the past few days...that
might also have some useful ingormation.

> But I'm running into problems:
>
> 1. When building binutils the scripts complain about dh_split not found.
> I thought this was part of the debhelper package but it is not. Where do
> I find it? The scripts keep processing though, so I'm assuming this is
> harmless, but I really don't know.

I have debhelper installed here, and I don't see it.
http://packages.debian.org/ will know though, if the file is in Debian.

> 2. When building gcc, dpkg-checkbuilddeps complains with "Build
> conflicts: libgcc300" and aborts processing. I don't want to override
> this with the -d flag because I believe my host machine is going to be
> toasted with the wrong libraries. What is the work around?

That's an odd one.  I don't know the answer, but have you considered
building the packages in a chroot?
http://people.debian.org/~walters/chroot.html explains how to create
one.  Then you don't have to worry about things getting removed and such
as build-{deps,conflicts}.  pbuilder is another option.

Sorry I don't actually know either answer, but hopefully this points you
in the right direction :)

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/