Problems building a GCC cross compiler using the toolchain-source package

Hello,

I'm trying to build a cross compiler using the toolchain-source and
dpkg-cross packages, along the lines of what is described at
http://people.debian.org/~debacle/cross.html

But I'm running into problems:

1. When building binutils the scripts complain about dh_split not found.
I thought this was part of the debhelper package but it is not. Where do
I find it? The scripts keep processing though, so I'm assuming this is
harmless, but I really don't know.

2. When building gcc, dpkg-checkbuilddeps complains with "Build
conflicts: libgcc300" and aborts processing. I don't want to override
this with the -d flag because I believe my host machine is going to be
toasted with the wrong libraries. What is the work around?

My host machine is an Intel PC running Debian/unstable. I would
appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you,

--
Pedro Sanchez <psanchez@nortelnetworks.com>