Re: sawfish: removing it switches alternatives to auto mode???

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 10:52:14PM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:
>   I had set up fvwm2 as x-window-manager (using update-alternatives)
> but sawfish gets repeatedly set up as default window manager which is
> very annoying becuase it causes window manager to exit when I try to
> restart it.
>
>   while testing the problem I have found out that when I apt-get remove
> sawfish somebody sets the x-window-manager to auto mode, I get following
> message:

> Removing sawfish ...
> Removing manually selected alternative - switching to auto mode
> dpkg - warning: while removing sawfish, directory `/var/lib/sawfish' not
> empty so not removed.
>
>   I guess it is caused by the following command in prerm script:
>
> update-alternatives --remove x-window-manager /usr/bin/sawfish
>
>   is it a bug in update-alternatives? IMO it shouldn't switch back to
> auto mode when I remove alternative (which is not currently selected).
> Should I file a bug?
>
>   Or should sawfish use something else? I checked few other WMs
> (wmaker, fvwm) and they use the same command...

That looks OK to me; I'm assuming 'auto mode' means that
update-alternatives just picks the WM with the highest priority.  What
would you prefer it to switch to?  If sawfish was the configure
x-window-manager alternative, then u-a doesn't know what you'd prefer to
use once it's gone...

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/