Re: Help! partition table!

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 23:34:43 +0000
"Hugo Ideler" <the_azaghal@hotmail.com> wrote:

> It's ext3, but I must add that the formating of wasn't very far when I
> hit the power-off. But I suppose this won't make much of a difference?

This probably won't work, but you could boot with a rescue CD (Knoppix
is kind of good for that, Slackware even better), then try mounting the
partition you want to rescue. The trouble is that inodes have been
overwritten - I'm not really sure what you'll find.

> So i'd be happy enough if I could just recover my home directory. :)

Though this won't help you in your current predicament, this is one more
good reason for creating a separate partition for /home. That way, you
can totally crash and burn your Linux installation and still recover
/home without a hiccup.

Sorry if this isn't a great answer.

 - Robert