From: Johan Ehnberg <johan@ehnberg.net>
To: Hugo Ideler <the_azaghal@hotmail.com>
CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Help! partition table!
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 00:34:37 +0200

Whoops...
That's a bad one. Really evil. So you wrote a new filesystem over your last one? A partition itself can be found again when it disappears from the disklabel, but this is different. AFAIK, the data (or probably 99% of it) is still there, on your partition, but there's no filesystem to tell you where to look. If you're talking about /etc/whatever files, a way of finding the data is to read the raw partition and filter out something you remember. Something like 'cat /dev/hda2 |grep [whatever]' might give you some answers. It takes time and gives only one line...
Someone else might know the tools better that I do.

But I strongly believe it's much easier to reinstall and remember how you configured it.

Also, before you do anything, you might want to listen to other people's ideas too, first. :-)

hth,
/johan

-foot note: forgot to CC mailinglist!-