Re: cdrecord doesn't work

Florian,

I basically read a pile of tutorials online and put these steps together to get my own burner working.
This *should* work for you as well:

1. Your lilo.conf is fine. Just be sure that you ran 'lilo' since you have made the changes.

2. Add the following to the end of /etc/modules.conf

options ide-cd ignore=hdd # tell the ide-cd module to ignore hdd
alias scd0 sr_mod                  	 	   # load sr_mod upon access of scd0
pre-install sg     modprobe ide-scsi   	     # load ide-scsi before sg
pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi     # load ide-scsi before sr_mod
pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd       # load ide-cd   before ide-scsi

3. Add the following the following to /etc/modules

ide-scsi
sg

note: 'scsi_mod', 'ide-cd', "ide-mod" should be inserted (I think).

4. Run the following commands (also, remove the entry that you quoted me from your '/dev/' dir - when using scsi-emulation, you need to forget about 'hdd'! Once 'hdd' is emulated as an scsi device it is known as scd0 (that's the whole point):

cd /
mkdir cdrw #mount point for your burner - the same as the mount point specified in /etc/fstab

cd /dev
ln -s scd0 cdrw   #symbolic link from cdrw to scd0 (the actual device)

Your entry should look like this when done:
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            date     cdrw -> scd0

5. Add this to /etc/fstab: (also, put a # at the beginning of any entries pertaining to 'hdd' - or just remove them.)

/dev/scd0       /cdrw           auto    ro,noauto,user,exec     0       0

6. Once you have done this, reboot and try running 'cdrecord -scanbus' again. You should have an entry now!!

If you get an entry from cdrecord -scanbus you are well on your way. Getting cdrecord burning cds may be another small challange you'll have to work on (especially if you are working from the command line with no frontend). It's not hard, but it *might* take a little tweaking! As long as you burner is supported by cdrecord, you should be burning cds within no time.

Also, as Jorge Santos said in a previous post, have a look at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html - an excellent document on this subject.

Good-luck! And have fun ;)
Brad.