Re: Installer Woes

Brad Eisan wrote:
Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:

Okay. My problem. I cannot reinstall RedHat. So, since I was planning on making the switch to Debian, I figured now would be the best time to ask (before I use the Debian Woody r0 3.0 cd's I downloaded ages ago) on whether or not there is a GUI installer for Debian. If so, where? I've been looking on debian.org, but all I could find was info on netinstall cd's (of which for the latest stable releaser there are only unofficial ISO images) for sarge. Am I missing something?

Please clue me in. TIA.

Joseph,

Debian has no 'point-and-click' installation interface (GUI) like RedHat (there is probably development going on in this area though). It uses a

When I downloaded woody r0 3.0 I had read on the debian.org site that there was work on a gui installer.

curses-style interface (like in your computer's setup (BIOS) when you
push 'del' when booting). The only functional difference between this and a GUI is that you use your keyboard-only as apposed to being able to use your mouse. Don't let this intimidate you though; if your going to be using debian, you'll have to get used to using your keyboard!!

dselect is NOT as easy as hitting enter a few times. I have specific packages (db's, X server, window managers, multimedia apps (audio and visual), and word processors) that I'd like to install w/o all the associated fluff (stuff I don't use and will probably never use such as most of Gnome (I use GAIM, XMMS, Mozilla, and some other prog's that require Gnome)).

If you're new to debian, I would suggest downloading the Debian 3.0r1 -

I already have all 7 cd's of 3.0r0

Disk 1 image (easily downloaded at www.linuxiso.org), burning up the image to a CD and booting from it. If you have a net connection, and a supported NIC, you can simply boot off this CD and setup will install the base-system and pull any packages you choose (tasksel or dselect) to your machine across the net. If you do not have a net connection you can still install a basic system using this CD.

The stable release is a good starting point if you're new to debian. You

I tend to stray away form test releases of anything.

can always change your /etc/apt/sources.list to 'unstable' or 'testing' later and update your system.

Good-luck
Brad.