Re: XDMCP and client requirements

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:19:04AM -0500, Bob Paige wrote:
> Another variable, just in case it will shed any light: I'm using a USB
> ethernet adapter (Linksys USB100M; very small). I've heard in the past
> of problems with USB ethernet adapters disconnecting and causing
> problems, but even when I was running the locally installed image it
> never froze like this.

My luck with USB NICs has been pretty bad as well.  Any chance of
going to a more reliable connection?

Keep in mind that with XDMCP, the display is being managed by a
remote machine.  If you lose contact with that machine (like, say,
because of a flaky NIC), would you not expect the terminal to appear
to have locked up?  It may be running fine itself, but if it can't
send input to the XDMCP server or get display updates back...

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that